Columbus Music Co. was started in 1945 by Forrest Corn, who had been the Columbus High School Band Director from 1935 to 1943. The first location was in downtown Columbus at 2312 13th Street, two blocks east and across the street from its current location.Television, radio, and record sales were added to our offerings in the early years. Many customers enjoyed the try-it-before-you-buy-it method of listening to 45’s in the record booth, played by Mary Jo Tucek, before making their purchase.
Mike and Jan Moser purchased the business from Forrest in 1977, moving the business to the U.S. 30 Center in the former T.G & Y location.
After renting in the mall for 6 years, they purchased the former Kaufman Hardware buildings downtown at 2514 13th Street, where they remain today.
Mike has been active with music since his teen years, playing at St. Bon’s church and in bands, and formed the band Cruisin’ in 1990 with Fred Ritter and Bill Boucher and still plays for weddings, dance clubs, and other celebrations.
Jan has been active in music since her youth, playing piano and organ in church, for weddings and funerals, for the Consonaires singing group, and helping various schools with music program accompaniment.
Mike and Jan help organize the entertainment for Lawn Chairs on the Square. The 10-week music series in Frankfort Square has been a summertime staple for decades. They have helped organize Community Band for the last two years and Mike has amplified events, like Columbus Days and the Columbus Marching Festival for the last four decades. Many musicians got their first instrument at Columbus Music and still shop here many years later.